The malt company was started by Hugel and Company in the old stone railroad car shops on Church Street. The barley was shipped by railroad from Canada. In 1878, W. D. Matthews bought the plant and it was considered to be the largest malt house in the United States. The kiln produced 800,000 bushels of malt annually. In 1897, it became part of the American Malting Company.
This material may be protected by copyright.